Bearded Geeks Gentlemans Club will sponsor the first annual Beard Competition at this year’s Old-Time Music, Ozark Heritage Festival. The competition will be held on the West Plains Civic Center Theater stage at 6:00 p.m., Saturday, June 2, 2018.
The two-day annual Festival in downtown West Plains, Mo., celebrates Ozarks music and culture. Admission to all festival events is free. Festival hours are 3-9 p.m. Friday and noon-9 p.m. Saturday.
Registration forms for the competition can be completed at either of the Festival information booths (in the Civic Center lobby or East parking lot) during the Festival June 1 and 2. Deadline for registration is 5:30 p.m. Saturday. Prizes will be awarded to winners in each category, with a special award for Best of Show.
Categories to be judged:
- Ole-Timers Beard – Longer than 6 inches, but don’t stop there. Extra points can be earned for having an interesting beard or styling the beard length in a curious or creative fashion.
- Heritage Beard – Must be shorter than 6 inches. Points can be awarded in many categories – length, fullness, nifty details (grey streaks, interesting waives, braids, etc.)
- Newcomer – This category is for the man with facial hair that doesn’t quite fit into the first two areas (Goatee, Chin Puff, Anchor, Sideburns, Chops, etc.)
- Best Mustache – Much like beards, all varieties of interesting mustaches are welcome to compete. Styling aids are encouraged, but judges like the “beer soaking” mustache just as well.
- Fake Beard – This one is for the ladies (or young sons who are waiting for their facial hair)! Pick a theme for your beard or mustache; make a beard out of something unique other than hair; creativity is key. Judges will look for craftsmanship, creativity and overall appearance when voting on the best fake beard.
Best of Show will be selected from the overall winners in each category.
2018 Festival partners include the West Plains Council on the Arts, the City of West Plains, Missouri State University-West Plains, the Ozark Heritage Welcome Center, and the West Plains Civic Center. Partial funding for this event was provided by the Missouri Arts Council, a state agency.
For more information on the festival e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, visit the website at http://www.oldtimemusic.org, or “like” the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Old.Time.Music.Festival